The Price Of A Speeding Ticket

Getting a ticket for driving too fast may seem like a minor thing, but it can have long-lasting consequences on your life. A ticket can result in higher car insurance rates, which is never good for the budget. It could even lead to a suspended license, depending on the current charge and your past driving record, leaving you stuck at home.

If you have received a speeding ticket, it would be to your benefit to meet with an attorney who understands the law. As the founder of James M. Wagman, Attorney at Law, I have over 30 years of experience helping people with their speeding tickets and other traffic violations in Catskill, the Hudson Valley and upstate New York, and I can advise you as to the best course of action for your moving violation.

What To Do If You Are Pulled Over

Seeing the lights of a police car behind you can cause a lot of anxiety, and rightfully so. While the chances of getting a ticket are pretty good, the following information may help you in the event you are pulled over:

  1. Respect the "move over" law and pull off to the side of the road, even if you are not the one being pursued.
  2. Cooperate with the officer as much as possible.
  3. Be honest, but say only what is necessary.
  4. Your chances of getting a ticket decrease the cleaner your record is.
  5. Keep in mind that the prosecutors and court will know what your previous original charge was.

If you end up getting a ticket for speeding, talking with a lawyer before you decide how to proceed can help you look at all of your options. Pleading guilty and paying the fine can come back to haunt you later on. I look at the details of your traffic stop, confirm that the officer had a legal cause to pull you over, examine the evidence against you, and negotiate on your behalf to have the ticket dismissed or reduced to a less serious infraction.

Discover Your Options

To learn more about your best options in the case of a traffic violation, call me at 518-291-4803 or toll free at 866-901-8742 for a complimentary consultation. You can also reach me through my online form.